Christmas, traditionally a time of gluttony, overindulgence and excess can often result in festive fun turning into festive fat.
You can enjoy a guilt-free holiday with a sneaky but intense 5 minute workout, repeated just once a day for the 12 days of Christmas. This high-intensity program will improve cardiovascular fitness, endurance and even initiate calorie after-burn (when you continue to burn fat even after you’ve stopped exercising, ideal). This means you can indulge and feast on mince pies and egg-nog to your heart’s content.
So here is my Christmas present to you, the 12 Days of Christmas Workout. Be warned, it’s a killer.
Everyone probably already knows this song, but if not, the program works in a cumulative way. This means you do exercise 1 once, then 1 and 2 (with 2 repeated twice), then 1,2 and 3 (with 3 repeated 3 times), continuing until exercise 12. When you have completed all the exercises, repeat the whole workout in full once more.
1) Burpee x1
2) Side plank and reach under (one on each side-hold for 5 seconds)
3) Sit-ups x3
4) Lunges x4 alternating legs
5) Press-up x5
6) Leg Raises x6 alternating legs
7) Squats x7
8) Reverse Lunges x8
9) Star jumps/ jumping jacks x9
10) High speed high knees x10
11) Leg extensions (either alternate legs or both together for advanced) x11
12) Bicycle crunches x12
- Drop into a squat position with your hands on the ground
- Extend your feet back in one quick motion to assume the front plank position.
- Return to the squat position in one quick motion
- Return to standing position.
How to video:
Side Plank and reach under
How to video:
You can either have your arm straight (as shown in the video) or bent with the lower arm resting on the floor. This exercise will really strengthen and tone your core muscles.
If you want a flat and toned tummy, this is the exercise for you, as the move will strengthen both your hip flexors and abdominal muscles.
This is a tough exercise, but it is the best to target your rectus abdominis and give you rock hard abs.